Thursday, May 20, 2010

Sanitizing Your Make-up And Purse

I went to visit my friend Megan a last week and she told me she had recently heard a news report about germs found in make-up. She threw all of her old make-up away.

I have heard of eye infections from old mascara or eyeliner before, but never gave it much thought. I always handle my make-up with clean hands and I don't carry it in my purse. I decided to do a little research into this and I found a great Dr. Oz video. Here are his tips:

"Lipstick and Mascara


Take a tube of lipstick and dip it in alcohol for 15 to 30 seconds, then wipe away the top layer of the lipstick. Or leaving it overnight in the freezer will also kill bacteria and viruses.

Leave a closed tube of mascara overnight in the freezer, thereby killing the germs.
 
Foundation and Eye Pencil


If you use a powder foundation, scrape off the top layer of the powder occasionally.
If you use a liquid foundation, scoop out the top layer.
Sharpen your eye pencil to a fresh point, making sure to remove the first layer.

Oz suggests disinfecting all of your cosmetics every three weeks, including using alcohol or freezing them."

I found this very interesting and useful information. I never would have thought to freeze my make-up or put lipstick in alcohol. I've never been big on lipstick, but I love lip balm! Dr. Oz also talked about cleaning the inside of your purse weekly. I clean the outside of mine from time to time, but I rarely clean the inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment