Monday, May 24, 2010

Salmonella Causes Alfalfa Sprout Recall

Salmonella found in alfalfa sprouts has sickened 23 people in 10 states. The FDA issued a recall on Friday, May 21, 2010 on raw alfalfa sprouts labeled as "Caldwell Fresh Foods alfalfa sprouts" from Maywood, California. My daughter bought some sprouts last Thursday, the day before the recall because she likes them on sandwiches. I don't care for sprouts. In my opinion, they taste like dirt (not that I eat dirt, it reminds me of the smell of dirt). We checked the label on Friday after seeing the recall in the newspaper. Fortunately, the sprouts she bought are from Utah and not part of the recall. As I have said before in previous posts, be careful and wash raw fruits and vegetables very thoroughly before eating. Also, keep an eye out for news reports about recalls. Avoid higher risk produce like prepared salads and pre-cut fruit and vegetables. It may be more work to do it yourself, but it's better than getting sick and also less expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment