Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Raw Chicken



Today I was at the store in line behind a woman with 2 kids. As she was unloading her cart, I noticed that the raw whole chicken she picked up (which was even bagged) was dripping all over the floor. I informed her of this and she carefully handed it to the cashier who scanned it and bagged it. If my hands weren't full, I would have offered her some hand sanitizer. After all, raw chicken can contain salmonella. She just went about her business as if it was nothing.

I looked at the checkstand and the cashier's hands thinking there is raw chicken juice there now. I considered getting in another line, but all the other lines were long. The cashier did not wipe the checkstand or his hands before moving on to my purchases. So, wierdo that I am, I grabbed a couple cart wipes on my way out the door. When I got to my car, I wiped off everything that I bought and threw the bags in the trash. Fortunately, I didn't buy very much. I bought some chips and a sub sandwich and I didn't want myself or my kids to risk handling the packaging and possibly transferring salmonella to our hands. I've had food poisoning in the past and that's something I would rather not ever experience again. Too bad this particular store doesn't have self-checkouts.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you. that's yucky! I always wonder if there are juices behind and don't like to see purchasing fruits and vegetables without the complimentary bags in the fruit and vegetable aisles.

    ReplyDelete