Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Another Raw Chicken Story


So, today I decided to make chicken for dinner using the store brand equivalent of Shake 'n Bake. I thawed the boneless, skinless chicken breast that I had in the freezer. I planned to wear rubber gloves as I always do when handling raw meat. However, when I went to get a pair out of the box, it was empty. Don't you just love it when the kids use something up and don't throw the box away so you don't know they are all gone? Anyway, I ended up using my bare hands. I haven't used shake 'n bake for a while and I forgot how messy it is. The crumbs were flying everywhere. It got all over my shirt. I felt some bounce off my forehead and it also got all over the stovetop where I was working. After thoroughly washing my hands, I put the chicken in the oven, changed my shirt, wiped my forehead and the stovetop (with antibacterial wipes, of course). I also used a wipe to get under my fingernails really well. I may be paranoid, but that's better than getting sick from salmonella.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you were careful, but honestly- rubber gloves...? I think we have gone way overboard with the antibacterial thing- in fact, we are making out kids sick with it- - they need some good old-fashioned growing up germs to develop critical antibodies. Wonder where the asthma is coming from...? Clean habits are good, germaphobic over-kill- is not.

    ReplyDelete