Wednesday, July 14, 2010

I Have Such Wonderful Neighbors!


My neighbors are so great! I was seriously losing the battle of the weeds in my garden. I've been doing what I can to keep the weeds down, but catching a cold didn't help matters. The weeds were taking over! My neighbors came over with their small tiller and tilled between the rows for me. They also did some weeding around the plants and hoed some irrigation trenches for better watering. They were almost done by the time I saw them out my window. I went out and helped a little.

There are still a conseridable amount of weeds around the plants. I am mostly over my cold except for a lingering stuffy nose. So, what did I do this time? I tripped over a step-stool and killed my little toe! I suspect it might be broken, but I don't want to go spend hundreds of dollars at the emergency room just to have it taped to the other toe. I tried taping it myself but any kind of pressure on it hurts. Since I can't stand any shoes other than flip-flops right now, I had to paint my toenails for fun. I went out last night and weeded the garden for a couple hours anyway. My toe didn't hurt much while I was outside, but it changed colors from blue to purple.

I think I'll take a little break from weeding for a little while so my toe can heal. I'll have to get the kids out there to help me instead. I still believe that growing your own food is worth all the work. At least I know it's safe. The question I had on my mind as I was weeding last night was, "If e-coli is found in manure, and soil is treated with manure, does that contaminate the food that is grown in it?" I don't know the answer to this question. If I find the answer, I will post it. My garden is manure free.

No comments:

Post a Comment